Mary Berry forced to wait three and a half hours for ambulance after breaking her hip

Mary Berry has revealed she was forced to wait for three and a half hours for an ambulance after breaking her hip.

Former Great British Bake Off star Mary, 86, stayed in hospital for ten days and underwent surgery after the accident in August.

And now, she has recalled the incident and revealed the lengthy wait she had the endure for an ambulance.

Speaking to Daily Mail's Weekend magazine, Mary recalled how she was in the garden picking sweet peas when she tripped over some bricks and "went down really hard".

Mary revealed she thought she had hurt her knee after undergoing an operation to give her a new knee a few years ago.

The baking star insisted he was "perfectly happy" to wait for emergency services, despite one of her feet "turning out". She now has a slight limp and is using a walking stick after the incident.

She recalled: "I sat quite still. I’d encourage everyone to have a phone with them always, when they’re out dog-walking, crossing a field… with a phone you can always get help."

After the fall, Mary called her husband Paul, who was in the house watching cricket. Mary joked he didn't pick up because "the cricket's more important".

Her daughter, Annabel, was at a tennis tournament so she phoned her son-in-law Dan, who arrived within ten minutes.

Mary recalled: "He saw me and said, 'I’ll get an ambulance'. I said, 'Oh, no, I’m fine', but he overruled me.

"He rang for the ambulance and they said, 'We’re very, very busy'. It was Sunday afternoon and there were lots of football injuries and whatever."

The baking star's two loyal dogs, Darcy and Freddie, stayed by her side the entire time as she waited for paramedics.

Become an OK! VIP and see all our exclusives – for free!

Become an OK! VIP and you will unlock access to all of our big exclusives…

Be the first to meet the latest showbiz babies, see the most sought after wedding pictures of the year, or take a guided tour around your favourite star's lavish multi-million pound home – all for free!

Sign up here

"We waited for three-and-a-half hours, until 6pm, and quite right too! I was perfectly happy," she explained. "There may have been a road accident. I quite understood that they were busy and Dan was caring for me. He kept me chatting.

"When the ambulance arrived Dan told Paul. It was a shock for him, seeing me go off. They took me to the Royal Berkshire Hospital and they were so good at explaining. One foot was turning out and they said I’d broken my hip."

Dame Mary underwent surgery at the Royal Berkshire Hospital the next morning. She recalled: "I was never nervous."

Mary added: "I didn’t get a shiny new hip. They just repaired the old one and popped it back in. And oh, they were all lovely!"

Stay up to date with all the latest on Mary Berry and your favourite stars by signing up to OK!'s daily celebrity newsletter.

Source: Read Full Article