Who is eligible to claim PIP? Illnesses and medical conditions qualifying | The Sun

PERSONAL independent payments (PIP) can be paid to those who suffer from long-term health conditions and disabilities.

We explain who is eligible for PIP, how you qualify for it and what you need to know.

Who is eligible to claim PIP?

PIP is for those aged 16 or over who have not reached state pension age.

You must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years, and be in one of these countries when you apply.

The process is different in Northern Ireland, and there are additional rules if you live abroad or if you’re not a British citizen.

read more in pip

Four freebies and discounts you can get if you claim PIP

How much is PIP and how can I claim?

What conditions qualify for PIP?

You need to have a health condition or disability where you've had trouble with daily living or getting around (or both) for three months, and/or you expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than six months to live).

Difficulties with daily living can include preparing or eating food, washing, bathing and using the toilet, dressing and undressing, reading and communicating, managing your medicines or treatments, making decisions about money, and engaging with other people.

Also be aware that you cannot get PIP and armed forces independence payment at the same time.

Most read in Money


Exact dates to qualify for Christmas bonus on Universal Credit and benefits


I bought my council house as a first-time buyer – and I got a 46% discount


I transformed a water tower into £1m mansion – the interior will astound you


Fears raised again for pensions triple lock as Rishi refuses to commit

PIP is made up of two parts and whether you get one or both of these depends on how severely your condition affects you.

How much you get also depends on how your condition affects you.

You may get the mobility part of PIP if you need help going out or moving around. The weekly rate for this is either £24.45 or £64.50.

While on the daily living part of PIP, the weekly rate is either £61.85 or £92.40 – and you could get both elements, so up to £156.90 in total.

How long does a PIP claim take?

It can take up to six months when you first contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to get your first payment.

If they decide you're eligible, they'll pay you the money you should have got from the date you started your claim.

It depends how long they take to accept your

  • Claim form
  • The documents you sent with your claim form
  • The health professional’s notes from the medical assessment

You'll then get a letter through the post concerning whether you're eligible and which rate you get.

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222.

There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone. See Gov.uk for more information.

When you claim, you'll need:

  • Your contact details
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Bank or building society account number and sort code
  • Your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • Dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call.

You'll then be sent a form to fill in, after which you'll be invited for an assessment or your health or social care worker will be asked for information.

After this you'll be sent a letter telling you if your claim has been successful.

You can read Citizens Advice’s help on preparing for an assessment.

Does change of circumstances mean another PIP assessment?

You will not need to reapply if you change medication or face similar minor changes.

But you should still report any different cirumstances to the DWP as they come just to be sure.

You should tell them if any of the following information changes:

  • name
  • address
  • bank account details
  • GP or specialist

But don't worry – it shouldn't affect how much money you'll receive.

Read More on The Sun

Man makes kid cry at Disney World by blocking her view but people are on HIS side

I’m plus-size & found the perfect jeans in the supermarket, they’re a steal

It's good to keep a record of any change that's been recorded as well, in case the DWP disagrees that a change has been reported.

For more PIP help, read here for four freebies and discounts you could get alongside it.

Source: Read Full Article